Experience You Can Trust

Working To Help You Regain Your Right To Own Guns

The Second Amendment details the right to bear arms, meaning citizens of the United States have a constitutional right to own guns. However, these rights can be restricted if you have been convicted of a crime. This can be frustrating, as you cannot own any type of firearm for hunting, personal protection or otherwise. Though you may be barred from owning a gun, this does not have to last forever. It may be possible to regain your right to own a firearm after a felony conviction.

If you are a resident of Southwest Virginia and are looking to regain your right to possess and use firearms, I invite you to put my experience and the resources of my law firm, Wiegandt & Doubles, P.C., to work for you. I am defense lawyer Malcolm “Mac” McLeod Doubles. I have experience not only defending my clients in felony cases but also helping them regain their rights to own guns.

Restoring gun rights is often a complex legal matter that requires an in-depth understanding of the legal process and how the courts will respond to the specifics of the petition. I will work aggressively on your behalf to get your Second Amendment rights restored.

About The Process Of Restoring Your Weapons Rights

After a felony conviction in Virginia, you may qualify for restoration of your right to own and possess firearms in the commonwealth if any of these situations apply to you:

  • You have been pardoned.
  • Your civil rights have been restored and the circuit court in your jurisdiction has granted you permission to possess or carry a firearm.
  • You were convicted of a felony in another state and that state has restored your right to bear weapons.
  • You were convicted of a felony at the federal level and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives has lifted your federal firearm restrictions.

To begin the process of seeking the reinstatement of your ability to possess guns and other weapons, I can help you through these steps:

  • Petitioning the Office of the Governor for the restoration of your civil rights: This is the same first step in the process of obtaining other rights that are stripped by a felony conviction, such as the right to vote and the right to sit on a jury.
  • Petitioning the circuit court for your specific ability to own firearms: Once your civil rights have been restored, I help you take this next step, despite a past conviction. The court will consider a wide range of factors, including how long it has been since your felony conviction and the type of crime you were convicted for, and make a determination.

I will document supporting arguments for your petitions, represent you at hearings as necessary, and otherwise guide and represent you through every phase of your case. I will keep you informed and help you understand the rendered decisions. I am also ready to help you address any restrictions that may still exist, including federal-level restrictions.

Weapon And Gun Charges Defense

The best way to avoid losing your right to bear arms in the first place is to avoid a felony conviction if you have been charged with a crime involving weapons. In addition to pursuing the restoration of gun rights for clients with convictions, I defend clients who face initial charges such as the following:

  • Allegations of illegal possession of weapons, including gun charges filed against persons previously convicted of felonies or specified misdemeanor offenses; persons prevented from gun possession due to restraining orders; and persons disallowed gun ownership due to mental or emotional diagnoses
  • Allegations for possessing firearms deemed to be illegal under state or federal law, including possessing automatic assault rifles and machine guns, and silencer attachments.

Explore Your Options For Reclaiming Your Right To Bear Arms

Whatever legal issues you may be facing regarding regaining your right to own firearms in Virginia, I am ready to stand up for your rights. Call Wiegandt & Doubles, P.C., in Fincastle toll-free at 540-254-0172 or send me an email.